These days home-based businesses are becoming more and more popular, especially with the internet and advanced digital platforms which allow business owners to run their empires from home. Running your own business is both exciting and rewarding. It also takes a lot of coordination and sacrifice, so what happens if there is an accident with a client or a disaster out of your control that affects your ability to work?
Some home-based business owners may assume their homeowners insurance will provide the necessary protection in the event of a loss. But more often than not that is not the case— there are plenty of insurance options out there that can protect your business in the case of an accident, fraud or injury.
Here are 5 types of insurance to consider for your home-based business:
- Business property coverage: This protects items such as computers, signs, merchandise and other business-related property against certain instances of loss.
- General liability coverage: This protects you in case someone files a lawsuit against your business due to an accident, an injury or a claim of negligence.
- Data compromise coverage: Hackers are beginning to target small businesses on a regular basis and such an attacks can result in customers’ or employees’ data being stolen from your computers. This type of coverage can help you recover from such a situation.
- Employment practices liability coverage: If you hire an employee, this type of coverage protects you if you ever face allegations of wrongful termination or other employment risks.
- Business interruption coverage: This provides business income in the event your home-based business is interrupted by a “covered loss,” such as a fire or a tornado.
Insure your business and protect your small home-based business
A business insurance policy helps protect you against many of the common issues at-home business owners face. Running your own business takes a lot of coordination, make sure that your insurance policies will cover your business so you don’t face any setbacks in the case an event occurs that is out of your control. Talk with your insurance agent to see what policies best fit your needs. Don’t hesitate to call the GR Team to ask questions. (844) 272-0283